Category
Body

Dilutions Cheat Sheet for Dr. Bronner’s Castile

Update May 2022 —I’ve added a few uses to both the Sal Suds and Castile Cheat Sheets. Plus: All four Cheat Sheets are now available in Spanish! (See the side bar to download or print.)

Dilute! Dilute! OK!* But how much? Here is a quick reference. None of this is a hard and fast rule. If your stuff is really dirty or your water is really hard, then you may want to use more than the recommended amount. However, this should get you started. You’ll notice that for some applications, I recommend pre-diluting the Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap—combining the soap with water in a container. For other applications, the soap is diluted by the water present in the situation. It’s a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind that if you predilute, you are also diluting the preservation system (tocopherols – vitamin E), so the shelf life drops. Use within a couple weeks. And yes, there are 18+ uses here.

* Long time Dr. Bronner’s users will remember this expression from the old labels.

Body Uses

Face: 2-3 drops on wet hands, applied to wet face.

Body: One small squirt on wet hands or washcloth, applied to a wet body.

Foaming Pump Dispenser: Dilution of one part soap to 3 parts water.

Wipe-Off Castile Body Wash Spray: Use when running water isn’t an option due to illness, large cast or bandage, or when hiking, camping, etc. Combine 1 ½ tsp. (7.5 mL) soap with 1 cup (240 mL) water in a spray bottle. Spray body wash lightly on skin, and wipe with a wet (not dripping) cloth. Dry skin.

Makeup Removal: Wet face and lather several drops of soap into hands. Massage into skin. Rinse.

Hair: A couple drops for close-cropped hair or up to ½ Tbsp. (7.5 mL) for long hair, either worked directly into very wet hair or pre-diluted in a cup of water. Follow with a capful of Dr. Bronner’s Citrus Organic Hair Rinse diluted in one cup (240 mL) of water or dilute apple cider vinegar in half with water.

Bath: Completely depends upon water amount, but approximately 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) soap in an average sized tub. (Doesn’t bubble, but still cleans.)

Shaving: Face—10 drops; Underarms—3 drops; Legs—½ tsp (2.5 mL); Work to a lather in wet hands, apply to area.

Teeth: 1 drop on a toothbrush. (Yes, it tastes like soap.)

Oral Appliances: Removable retainers, nightguards, etc. & dentures: Wet device. Add 1-2 drops of soap to a soft toothbrush. Brush gently, then rinse.

Foot Bath: ½ Tbsp. (7.5 mL) in a small tub of hot water.

Clearing Congestion: 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Peppermint or Eucalyptus Castile soap in a bowl of steamy hot water. Breathe in mist with a towel draped over the head.

Household Uses

Dishes (Handwashing): Pre-dilute 1:10 with water. Squirt on a scrub brush. Alternatively, add 1-2 Tbsp. (15-30 mL) Castile Soap in a large sink of water. Use a small squirt of soap for one pot, or more if needed. To avoid water spots in hard water conditions, dry dishes by hand.

Laundry: 1/3-1/2 c. (80-120 mL) soap for a large load in a regular washer. Add 1 c. (240 mL) vinegar to the rinse cycle. Optional: For whitening/deodorizing, add 1/2 c. (120 mL) baking soda to wash cycle. Halve these amounts for HE washers.

Handwashing Delicates: 1 capful (1 Tbsp. or 15 mL) Castile Soap in about 1 gallon (4 L) cold water. Swish gently. Let soak 10 minutes. Swish again. Rinse with clean water. Gently press out excess water with a towel. Hang or lay clothing flat to dry.

Mopping (Wood, Laminate, Vinyl, Stone & Tile Flooring): ½ c. (120 mL) of soap in 3 gallons (12 L) of hot water. Dunk mop (microfiber, preferably) and wring thoroughly. On wood and laminate, avoid excess water and mop up wet areas.

• For smaller areas, add 2 tsp. (10 mL) Castile Soap to a quart (1 L) of water in a squirt bottle.

All-Purpose Cleaning Spray: ¼ c. (60 mL) soap in a quart (1 L) of water in a spray bottle. Optional: For extra microbial punch, add ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) tea tree essential oil.

Windows: 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) soap in a quart of water in a spray bottle. Spray and squeegee. Follow up with pure club soda, or half vinegar/ half water and squeegee.

Toilet: Predilute 1:4 with water in a squirt bottle. Add ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) tea tree oil. For best results, empty toilet. Squirt bowl thoroughly, sprinkle baking soda on the brush, scrub bowl, let sit 10 minutes, turn water on, flush.

Other Uses

Fruit & Veggie Wash: 1 dash (approx. ¼ tsp.) in a bowl of water. Dunk produce and swish. Then rinse in clear water.

Dog Washing: Wet dog thoroughly. Massage in enough soap to create a good lather. (Amount varies based on size, hair type, and overall dirtiness.) Really massage it in down to the skin. Your dog will thank you for it. Rinse thoroughly.

Cleaning Makeup Brushes: Wet the make-up brushes in water. Add 1-2 drops soap to the bristles. Massage in gently for 10+ seconds, then rinse. Repeat as needed until water runs clear.

Plant Spray for Bugs: 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) in a quart (1 L) of water. Optional: Add ½ tsp. (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper or cinnamon. Spray plants twice daily in the cool of the day until infestation clears.

Ant Spray (Not on plants): ¼ c. (60 mL) Tea Tree Castile Soap in a quart (1 L) of water. (This concentration will burn plants.)

I’ve tried to keep this short and sweet. If you have any questions, please ask away!

Not sure when to use Sal Suds or when to use Castile Soap? Head over to my blog post, Sal Suds or Castile Soap—Which to Use?

If you’re interested in using the Castile Bar Soap for house cleaning, check out my Bar Soap Dilutions Cheat Sheet.

Download Now!

Castile Soap Cheat Sheet

Dilute! Dilute! OK! But how much? Print this guide!

DOWNLOAD

Download Now!

Hoja de Dilución

Jabón Puro de Castilla Liquido

DOWNLOAD

Leave a Reply to Mia Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

Janet says:

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Can I use Castile soap for washing hair? If yes, what are the ratio?

Thank you.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Janet- I wash my hair regularly with the Castile Soap or the Organic Sugar Soap (whichever strikes my fancy that day). A good ½ Tbsp. of Castile Soap or a pump of Sugar Soap is enough for my long, thick hair. When using soap, the key is to follow up with an acidic rinse. The soap has an alkaline pH which makes our hair kind of tacky/sticky feeling. The acidic rinse smooths everything down. There are two options for an acidic rinse. For my long, thicker hair, I use about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (ACV) diluted with another 1/2 cup of water. Or, I dilute a capful of Dr. Bronner’s Organic Citrus Hair Rinse in 1 cup of water and then pour it over my head and work it through and rinse thoroughly. Use less of either dilution if your hair is shorter. During the couple weeks of transition, especially if you’re coming from a conventional shampoo/conditioner regimen, you may need to use another crème conditioner after the rinse. Read about my switch from shampoo to soap in this article, https://www.lisabronner.com/from-shampoo-to-soap-my-story/.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi CJ- The soap itself will not work well to deter mosquitoes on a large scale. I’ve heard of consumer using diluted Peppermint Oil in a spray bottle to repel mosquitoes, and it seems a few sprays of our Organic Peppermint Hand Sanitizer might have the same effect – but I’ve not tried either of these myself. If you give either of these a try, I’d be interested to know how they work out. Since I don’t live in a mosquito dense area, I’m not as full of ideas as I’d like to be.

Laurie says:

Can the all-purpose spray clean greasy: wood cabinets, and painted walls safely?

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Laurie- The All-Purpose Spray is safe to use on nearly every surface that can get wet. I use it on my wood cabinets and painted walls, as well as baseboards & door jambs. Perhaps consider a spot test on your particular surfaces to be sure.

Mia says:

Great article! I am definitely going to try these with my family and in my household. This is great for times that we are in right now where things are so expensive. I love multifunctional items like Castile soap! I just needed to learn how to use it! Thank you.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Mia – So glad this is useful! Let me know if you have any questions!

Bee says:

Hey Lisa,

I love using Sal suds for majority of our house cleaning – however i noticed that whenever i was cleaning our shower out using Sal Suds spray i ended up coughing and then looked at the ingredients again and it contains SLS which can be an irritant. Do you have any suggestions?

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Bee- Spraying our soaps can produce a fine mist of the product in the surrounding atmosphere, especially areas that aren’t well ventilated. It’s not common, but sometimes these fine mist particles trigger bronchial cells in the lungs, causing a brief bronchial spasm and coughs. But know our soaps do not contain any toxic ingredients. If your spray bottle has the option, it may be helpful to set the nozzle so that the mist is not so fine. Holding the bottle close to the surface you are spraying may also help.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi June- Yes, the mopping solution works great for this. Use 1/8 tsp. Sal Suds in a quart of water. Sal Suds is quite bubbly, so to avoid an overflow, fill the compartment with water and then add the Sal Suds.

Bec says:

Hi, just a quick query. Are the scented soaps also for all 18 uses, including the food wash? It is something I want to start doing, I just wanted to clarify first.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Bec- Yes, use whatever scent appeals to you most. With a thorough rinsing, there won’t be any scent or taste left of produce.

Jerry says:

Using hemp/eucalyptus liquid soap.
I’m not young, and have old man flaky skin.
90 days into using it, 88 days of flake skin & scalp gone!
May be the best ‘ body wash ‘ available.
Could not be more pleased.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Jerry- I’m so glad to hear our soap has been a help to you!

Frances says:

What would be the ratio to make sugar scrub, using 5# of granulated sugar. I love the way this soap smells and cleans.

How To Do Everything With Dr Bronner's - Hemp Store says:

[…] You can download Lisa Bronner’s beautiful cheat-sheet from her website here. […]

Maryam says:

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for this post!

When using for hand soap and mixing one part Castile soap with 3 parts water like you mentioned in the comments, how long would the hand soap be good for if I use distilled water?

Thank you very much!

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Maryam- I’m glad this is helpful to you! The shelf life is about 2-3 weeks. Follow your nose here – if it is smelling off, then dump and remake. If you find you don’t go through it fast enough, mix-up a smaller batch.

Su says:

Dear Lisa,

First of all, thank you for coming up with all these videos and sharing everything about how to go green with your products. I only just came upon Dr. Bronner’s last week and I’m all the way in Taiwan.

Next I have a question : Can Castile soap & Sal Sud be used on mopping Marble floors??

Thanks!

Janet says:

Thank you for this blog.

Coupla questions:

1. I have a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s unscented liquid soap, but don’t remember if I ever opened it. How can I tell if this unscented liquid soap is no longer OK to use?

2. Can I use this soap as hand soap in a regular (i.e., non-foaming) pump bottle? If yes, how should I dilute it?

Many thanks for your help.

Lisa Bronner says:

Hi Janet- It’s great to hear you find the blog helpful. Our products have a guaranteed shelf life of 3 years. The manufacture date is etched on the packaging, typically just below the label. The first four numbers there are the Julian date. The first two digits refer to the year while the next three digits refer to the day of the year out of 365 total days. So, if the first five digits of a lot code are “20165,” the product was manufactured in 2020 on the 165th day of that year (June 13). You can also search online for a Julian date calendar for the specific year your bottle was manufactured in. If the soap does not smell bad, then it is good to go. I’ve heard many stories of people finding old bottles and using them just fine. For a hand soap, we do not recommend using our soaps in a regular soap dispenser as they can clog and squirt out unexpectedly in odd directions. They work beautifully in a foaming hand soap dispenser though. Use 1 part soap to 3 parts water.

ABOUT / CONTACT

Lisa Bronner

Green means life. “Going Green” is living in such a way to promote vitality and vibrancy in every sphere of life. Grab an idea to make your days healthier, simpler, and more beautiful at their core.

Print Now!

Castile Soap Cheat Sheet

Dilute! Dilute! OK! But how much? Print this guide!

DOWNLOAD